Learning how TrinityCore functions

Hello devs of TrinityCore,

I would love to help with development especially of the core. I know C++ quite well, I have tried to start fixing some things. For now I have figured out how scripts work, but most of the functionality of the core still remains mostly a mystery.

Does any of you have any tips for understanding the way TrinityCore works? Especially the way it communicates with the client. Is there an updated wiki/documentation for the 6.x branch?

Also is there a specific procedure for discovering/understanding opcodes?

Thanks! Hope I will be able to help Soon™ /emoticons/default_smile.png

Documentation about core functionality is pretty much non existing. Just try fixing some things and looking around the code, most functions have proper naming and are self explanatory. It will be hard at first, but as you get more familiar with code base things get easier.

As for opcodes, they are pulled out of client assembly using programs such as IDA. That’s not an easy task especially if you don’t know assembly and basic reverse engineering knowledge. If you didn’t know, all reversed opcodes go to https://github.com/TrinityCore/WowPacketParser There you can look on how to implement them in core.