Please update the coding standards

Recent activity on the repo. suggests that a new coding standard of using brackets separated by a space { } is preferred over {} yet for some reason nobody wants to update the doc.:

Trinity’s coding standards didn’t specify using { } vs {} so it would be a good idea to add that to the standards doc. otherwise what’s preventing the next 2000 commits from using {} thus requiring this type of “repair” in the future?

No, simply no future PRs with {} will be acepted.

As much as I bitch and complain, it seems like the atmosphere around here is one of pure obstinance. I’ve been around for a while (long enough that I’m sure there’s a lot of people who wish I’d go away) but it’s plain stupid to hold PRs to a standard that isn’t even listed in the doc.

This is actually why I stopped making PRs, I got tired of this “process”.

PS: Who’s in charge around here anyway and why aren’t they training people? /emoticons/default_tongue.png

They are probably going to throw out my commit; seems it was too much “whitespace nazism” /emoticons/default_tongue.png

Still the proverbial thorn in the side I see. Keep up the good work. /emoticons/default_tongue.png

Hey! I said keep up the “good” work! Get back to work slacker! :wink:

At least your posts don’t get deleted /emoticons/default_tongue.png

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind standards but I think they should be for everyone and they should be clear and concise. When they change then it should be documented, not left up to guessing.

I get frustrated seeing commits like “fix build on Windows” which implies that the previous push was not tested and therefore didn’t meet standards. Why should anyone have to meet standards if everyone doesn’t have to meet standards?

I used to enjoy doing the odd PR / fix but lately it’s become too much like work. At least with custom code submissions people can use it if they want.

PS:

Judging by some of the rude comments I’ve got lately, it seems I’ve done pissed someone off. Too bad people around here aren’t capable of discussion. There seems to be an air of “do what your told or else”. Good thing this isn’t my job.

At least you aren’t me.