Understanding the Hotfixes table

Hello, everyone!

I’m trying to understand how the Hotfixes database works, in particular the item_sparse_locales table. I couldn’t find enough documentation to properly understand how it all works.

As far as I understand it, this table is a good way of altering a certain item’s name/description without updating the db2 files in the client.

What I don’t understand is some of its fields and how to fill them to get it to work:
• Locale: I know it’s supposed to be filled with 4 chars but I’m not quite sure what the format should be or if it’s case sensitive: enUS, enus, ENus or ENUS?
• Name2_lang, name3_lang, Name4_lang: Why are there 3 “name” fields aside from the numberless one? What’s their purpose?
• VerifiedBuild: What value should I insert here? Any positive value works?

There’s also the matter of the hotfix_data table (this is all the documentation I could find about it: https://trinitycore.atlassian.net/wiki/display/tc/hotfix_data ), I couldn’t quite figure out how to get it to work with the item_sparse_locale table or even if it’s necessary. There’re some entries in the regular item_sparse table that don’t seem to be reflected in the hotfix_data but they’re still picked up by the client regardless.

Thanks in advance,
Dub.

EDIT: I’m also looking for the function in the Core that handles sending item names/descriptions to the client, if the previous stuff doesn’t work out! I’m trying to get certain items to load their names and descriptions from a MySQL table (custom or already available).

I’m also wondering what is hotfixes db good for and how it is working.

I’m guessing VerifiedBuild might either represent the expansion pack where the data was first introduced. Just an initial thought though. It could be useful for conditional statements in the core, especially if an npc should or should not behave a certain way, or it’s a way of saying that the data is set in stone. I’m guessing the latter if the verifiedbuild matches any of the builds for the wow clients.

VerifiedBuild is not used by the core, at all. Its purpose is to annotate the build where the data was introduced to our DBs (except for custom stuff, all the data in the hotfix DB is from sniffs).

I’ll let someone else answer the questions regarding the hotfix DB.

Thanks Nay! I was wondering if I would have to use it during sql queries to retrieve the correct record for the client being used.

Hard for “me” to explain. But I have a slight understanding. Just read whatever is under the hotfixes DB in the wiki and I am sure that you will get an idea of what it is for. Example: You have an item which is plate, you can set it to leather if you want and also to what slot it should be along with other stuff such as flags etc… Correct me if I’m wrong.(Just my understanding so far, might or probably will be wrong=D). Also interested in knowing the full use of this table.