Hiring developers

Does anyone have any experience hiring developers? How quickly could the average developer with generic skills in the required areas get up to speed enough to fix various things that often seem to get less attention like pet battles, achievements, holiday events, etc?

There are all kinds of sites where you can hire developers these days and I just wonder, would it potentially bring in more developers to the project, potentially create other problems, or ultimately be too expensive to accomplish anything meaningful?

I used to have a lot more free time to play WoW, used to play on retail and emulator projects at the same time. I now tend to play much less and on some private servers where I can just spend money to more quickly get in game stuff with less effort. But private servers often suck of casual play when pet battles are badly broken in many areas, holiday events often don’t work, achievements often don’t work, etc.

Private servers go from expansion to expansion with almost no improvement to things other than dungeons, raids, and current expansion quests. They milk the community of money, hoard fixes for themselves, and probably provide few if any fixes back to the open source projects that they benefit from. At least that’s how it seems from a casual players perspective. I can donate large sums of money to these servers, fill out bug reports, and literally never see a single bug fixed because it’s not relevant to the most popular content.

I’d like to see the actual open source projects get much better instead of competing private servers racing to fix things separately while profiting from players.

mostly noone will waste his time to fix crap things like you mentioned (pet battle, achievements or even holyday events) when there are other high priority things, why would you have all of those on a crashing server or on a server full of hackfixes and anyway in my opinion wow died after cata (mop can be an exception) proof is blizzard subscribers graphs they stopped reveal for obvious reasons, wow was about pvp not farming things alone like you can do nowadays on a emulaotor in your pc. and as a side note yes, private servers nowadays are just a regular business, when people passion faded nothing much left.

That’s where people get it wrong. A lot of people play the game casually for “crap stuff nobody cares about”. How much time do people waste on tmogs? Transmogs alone probably drive a lot of the private server donations, right along with pets, mounts, and toys. Blizzard just ruins a lot of that like when they made legacy achievements and nuked a lot of the incentive to have a high achievement score. I’ve never found PvP all that much fun, and most of the smallest servers are pure PvP servers.